48 Hours in Washington D.C: Part One


Background:

Most of my family actually lives in Northern Virginia, just outside of the Nation’s Capital. Growing up, I had tastes of this gorgeous city; when my father thought that my brain was attrifying during the sweltering summers I would spend inside, he would drag me to one of numerous museums. I mimicked the disdain my older siblings had for museums, and I often found myself “too cool” to go, although I secretly didn’t mind them.


After living overseas for a couple of years, I decided that it was due time to fully immerse and experience the city I called home. Sadly, we would only be there for two days in the summer, before continuing our journey west to visit family and friends in Chicago, so this trip had to be concise and well planned.

* * *

Day 1:
I woke up disoriented and exactly not sure where I was; however the aromatic smell of pancakes and bacon on my table reminded me that I was in fact in DC, as nobody does breakfast foods better than the US. Room service, ordered by my mom, has to be one of life’s greatest pleasures. In a simple press of a button, one can have pages of delicious food items ordered to their door, to be enjoyed whenever and wherever one wishes, and the Tabbard Inn’s selection certainly did not disappoint.
However, I dragged myself out of my blissful state at the thought of my first activity, got ready, and headed out the door. The morning was crisp as a new 20 dollar bill led me out of my slumber, and I was energized; I was touring the White House, the most famous residence in the world! I used to pass by this iconic house on the way to my father’s office, and now I would finally experience the wonders the interior holds.

The White House was first constructed in 1792, overseen by George Washington; however during the War of 1812 the building was torched by the British. The building has undergone various restorations and renovations in response to the current president’s needs, shaping the designs it has today.  Although unfortunately we did not get to meet President Obama, we had a marvelous time touring the compound.

Image result for white house
Image by Tom Lohdan via Flickr
Picture (above) showcases the world famous residence that has housed generations of US presidents 
Later, as I was strolling through the surrounding streets, hunger shot through me like a bullet, and looking around, I popped into the first cafe that I could find for a late lunch. The restaurant was rather busy with tourists, and I did not get the best service nor food, however it still satisfied my hunger.
Now fueled with newfound energy, I journeyed over to the National Mall. Despite the name, there was no food court nor an elderly group power walking before mall opening in sight and instead, there was a 59 hectare park in the center of the city encircled by the top museums. I have always loved people watching in this particular spot due to the milling around of the crowds, chatting, picnicking, playing ball with their kids, etc, as well as the school children chirping about their exciting field trip.
I cut through the Mall to reach at my next attraction, the famous Museum of Natural History. Entering the Grand Hall, I tried to ignore the elephant in the room, a 14 foot African elephant weighing in at a whopping 12 tons.
File:NMNH-Rotunda.jpg
Image by Philip Cohen, via Flickr
Elephant model dominates the vast rotunda in the Natural History Museum
Although the quintessential exhibit is the allegedly cursed Hope Diamond, I say it’s only cursed by the crowds of sweaty tourists, and I would instead suggest the underrated butterfly area.

Exiting the dramatic doors, I was hit with a blast of burning afternoon air the equivalent of entering the gates of hell. Oh, how I miss Washington summers.


As I was strolling around, the neon Sprinkles Cupcake sign caught my eye and I suddenly decided that after all this learning, I deserved a sweet. I remember being obsessed with this cupcake show about Georgetown cupcakes and begged my dad to take me there, much to his dismay. I was honestly quite disappointed, because apart from the iconic frosting swirl, the cupcake was quite weak, and I decided that Sprinkles was just better. Sprinkles is the type of company that makes one feel warm and fuzzy, with its bright pink theme, fuzzy chairs and positive atmosphere. I decided to go for the cult classic, red velvet, a moist milk chocolate cake with a creamy and luscious cream cheese frosting with the perfect amount of tartness to balance the sweetness.  

I decided to revisit the Building Museum for old times sake, as this was always my favorite as a child. This museum is located in the previous building of the Pension Bureau, which was built in 1887. Walking in the doors, my breath was taken away by the vastness of the Great Hall, including the 25 meter high intricately designed columns facing me.
Image result for building museum dc
Photo by Phil Roder
Image (above) illustrates tall ceiling and columns in the entry 

Although the entrance feels regal and sophisticated, the museum always has interactive and casual exhibits in order to depict and teach the key information. The house & home exhibit always piqued my interest, as you would tour houses through history as well as those from different countries. This museum is definitely an essential element in a well rounded trip to DC, as one can learn the history of architecture and how far we have progressed through fun ways, as well as admiring the designs.
After visiting this informative yet interesting museum, headed back to the hotel for a quick reading break, as nothing recharges me like this after a full day of sightseeing.
After washing away the pollutions of a day walking around in humid Washington DC, my parents called, a cab, and we went to a trendy Middle Eastern restaurant, called Maydan. If you have ever visited this innovative restaurant, you would grasp the trendy atmosphere as you walk in and the pumping music penetrates your entire body.
After consulting with the waiter about the popular dishes, I came to the conclusion of trying the Barramundi fish, a traditional dish with lime, tamarind, and chile, which was ultimately a great choice. We also ordered the Zaalouk, a spread of roasted eggplant and pita to dip it in, which was plated on black volcanic trays. Although this restaurant was fun and interactive, bear in mind, don’t expect to carry on a conversation due to the loud music.
However, I’ll never forget the sheer euphoria I experienced, when my dad exclaimed, “we’re going to the Kennedy Center to see Anastasia!” Anastasia was a movie that shaped my childhood, everything from the to the, so it was incredible to see the beautiful performances in this historical building.
Image result for kennedy center dc
Photo by Kevin Flores
Photo (above) shows Kennedy Center built in 1958 by Kennedy Family on Potomac River
Exhausted from my packed day, I crashed on the perfectly made bed, and needless to say, I slept like a baby on Nyquil.  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your text. I liked how you expressed your feelings through adjectives. But, as for me, it was too much information about one place, so you could shorten it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment