48 Hours in Washington DC: Part two

Background: 
If one read my previous blog post, they would know that I visited Washington DC for 48 hours two years ago. The latter post focused on the first 24 hours of the trip, whereas this post focuses on the second period of 24 hours. If one would like to know about how I continued the journey, continue reading. 

* * *
Day 2:
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I thus took it to heart by visiting Bread Furst, a cafe on Connecticut Avenue, which has a variety of baked goods such as fresh bread, muffins, and authentic croissants.
However, Washington summers can often get exceedingly hot, like today. So, like many Washingtonians, I flocked to the river banks to catch a much needed breeze. I rented a bike, as it is prevalent and often an affordable means of transport ($8 for 24 hours), in order to see more of Washington DC. Although there are a multitude of possible routes, I headed northwest towards Dupont Circle. This is an area that has rejuvenated itself, now a vibrant art community and center of the LGBT community.
Image result for dupont circle
Photo by NCinDC via Wikimedia Commons
The photo above shows the marble fountain designed by Henry Bacon in 1921, in the center of the neighborhood
Continuing on my journey, I west to Rock Creek Park, a large urban national park, where I would spend the majority of my time biking under the canopy of trees and crossing various creek bridges. Although this park is so close to the city, it truly feels like a different world.  People obviously appreciated the stunning and extensive park and thus the location was quite crowded unlike my favorite river park, Great Falls, albeit much further away.
The most frequented bike route is along the Potomac, which of course I had to complete. The Washington Harbor is not always discussed but a visit is well justified, as you are able to view the historic ships and read about their stories, as well as observe the workers. From this location, I was content to find that from the harbor you could view the exterior of the Roosevelt Memorial on Theodore Roosevelt Island, which is not easily accessible nor as interesting, which is why I could not justify a separate trip.
File:Jefferson Memorial, Washington, DC 2012.JPG
Photo by Another Believer
Image above shows the many steps leading up to the famed Jefferson Memorial, located on the bank of the Potomac River

Following the river bank, I passed the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr memorial, a sculpture of the civil rights activist made in marble, which after reading the placards, evoked strong emotions of sadness and anger towards our past in our nation. The Jefferson Memorial, also located on the Potomac, is a beautiful building with iconic columns, dedicated to one of our founding fathers. Here my bike was not helpful as I had to park the bike far away to approach the building, which is something to consider before renting bikes.
After having a quick bite to eat in one of Georgetown’s innumerous delis, I headed to my favorite free-of-cost childhood activity: the Zoo. Getting there is quite simple; just get off on the Cleveland Park stop on the red metro line, and walk for a few minutes, until you spot the crowds of excited families. I’d recommend picking up one of the maps of the zoo, so you can easily navigate to your point of interest. Although the most popular animal is the endangered giant panda to visit, this area tends to get congested and I would recommend the Great ape exhibits which additionally plays an enthralling documentary about the human-ape relationship.
Image result for national zoo ape
Photo by Ren Cogswell, via Flickr
The photo showcases an ape climbing in its enclosure, above the ape museum in the National Zoo
I headed back to the hotel to get ready, as my family decided that in the evening we would take a river cruise on Odyssey Cruises. As we boarded the boat in the harbor, we were immediately warmly greeted with excellent service. The cruise travelled southeast on the river, on a similar path that I took on my bike. However, the attractions were further enjoyed at night, due to the juxtaposition between the dark night and the brightly lit white marble monuments. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my crab cakes and roasted vegetables, I felt that you were truly paying for the view and not the food, as there were definitely much better dinner options at a lower price point. We did enjoy the river cruise as it was a special occasion, although it was definitely pricey and not all of the elements reflected this splurge.
Image result for dc at night
Photo was taken by Elizabeth Rowe via Flickr
Image above is taken from the Potomac just after sunset and focuses on the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument
Maybe it was the clear, summer air or my satisfied stomach, but I reflected on the trip as a whole. It was interesting visiting the city which had such an impact on my childhood and the memories attributed are slightly bittersweet. On one hand, I am proud of my international experiences, and yet I am still yearning for many elements of my childhood home.  After reading this, is Washington DC on your travel list yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

48 Hours in Washington D.C: Part One